The National Center of Competence in Research nccr – on the move aims to enhance the understanding of contemporary migration patterns. Transcending disciplines, the NCCR brings together research projects from the social sciences, economics and law. Managed from the University of Neuchatel, the network comprises eleven Higher Education Institutions in Switzerland.
At the University of Neuchatel we have an open position for a
Short description of vacancy: The start date will be 1 November 2018 (or as agreed upon). The funding of the doctorate is limited to a period of four years. The successful applicant is expected to complete a PhD thesis within the framework of the research project entitled “Transnational Ageing: post-retirement mobilities, transnational lifestyles and care configurations”, under the supervision of Prof. Mihaela Nedelcu and Prof. Eric Crettaz.
Benefits: The salary and working conditions (activity percentage etc.) are in accordance with the regulations of the Swiss National Science Foundation. The nccr – on the move offers attractive working conditions, including support measures for researchers with childcare duties.
Employer: The position is based at the University of Neuchatel. The University of Neuchatel is an Equal Opportunities Employer. Qualified women and candidates with a migration history are encouraged to apply.
Submitting application: Applications (letter of intent, letter of recommendation, CV and copy of MA diploma) should be submitted before 20 August 2018 to mihaela.nedelcu@unine (also for queries) and email@example.com.
- Master degree in social sciences (preferably sociology, social anthropology, migration studies). The candidate has to-date not or only recently – not more than twelve months ago – enrolled as a doctoral candidate at a Swiss University.
- Excellent knowledge of qualitative methodologies (in particular semi-structured interviews and participant observation).
- The capacity to conduct interviews in French and German, as well as an excellent written and oral command of English are required. Knowledge of Spanish is an asset.
- Scientific interest in migration and transnational studies, population ageing and social policies, as well as interest in conducting fieldwork in two countries, namely Spain and Morocco, are expected.
- Interest in interdisciplinary collaborations with other nccr – on the move collaborators in the framework of different NCCR events, as well as participation in an interdisciplinary doctoral program coordinated by the University of Neuchatel are expected. Regular attendance of events at the University of Neuchatel, or elsewhere in Switzerland, is required.